Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Quark Walks into a Bar...

I know, sounds like the beginning to a physics joke, but it's no joke. I've been meaning to blog about this for a month, but didn't want to guilt anyone into coming out to visit before the end of August. I knew no one would come out to visit before the end of summer, though I had hoped that I'd get at least one visitor before it closed. That seems quite unlikely at this point.

The Hilton has an attraction called the Star Trek Experience. I've always wanted to go, but when I came out with Walt, he's not into Sci-Fi and the two of us never really came out to the Hilton much, so I never bothered asking him to go. The attraction is closing at the end of this month, maybe September 1st, and I can't bring myself to go alone. What's the point in going to see a goofy Star Trek homage, if you can't be silly with someone else who can appreciate it?

At the end of the attraction is a pub called Quark's Bar. I may go to the restaurant part just to pay my respects and to consume a beverage known as a Warp Core Breach. I don't recall what they are made out of, but I don't think they sounded all that good. For whatever reason they are popular. Maybe I'm remembering things wrong. I'm still thinking about whether I'll go or not. I can't seem to get over the patheticness of going alone, but then I have made my own bed and must now lie in it alone.

Speaking of lying in bed: I couldn't seem to get to sleep last night. I was tired, but no sleep was forthcoming. I finally took some melatonin around 2am and fell asleep within twenty minutes or so. I then forced myself awake at 7:30am. I am trying to insist on the daytime schedule. I figured it was time to give it another shot.

I was atypically hungry when I got up and about, so I made some eggs and then had some mountain dew to get myself going. No matter how tired I was today, I forced myself to keep writing. Aside from a lunch break and about fifteen minutes of resting my eyes in my chair, I wrote from 8am to 4pm. It was slow going but I managed to squeeze out 2774 words. The scene ended, so once again the timing was purely coincidental, but I finished the week with 12020 words.

So there! For those who think I never put in an eight hour day. I just did, and it was Sunday no less.

I am too tired to be bothered to call anyone now. Even though I have to force myself to stay awake for another 5-6 hours. I'll probably just watch the rest of that season of Moonlight.

No comments: