Thursday, August 28, 2008

Horizons

I managed another 1000 words today. So progress is good, but not great. I also printed off part one of the first novel. I've decided that I'm going to start my rewrite of the first volume in the next couple of days. This project is going to take priority over continuation of the second novel. I want to make sure I put in a solid effort on that 50 pages (give or take) and I need it to be ready for a December 1st deadline.

Part one is Taveson's introduction and I figure I'll probably end up rewriting most of it. When I first started I didn't know how to begin so I pretty much vomited whatever I could manage onto the page. Now that I have a clearer picture of the universe I am working in, and a solid direction of where I need to go, things will be different. Later parts may change less, but I'll worry about that when I get there.

Looming on the horizon is also my job packet nonsense. I had planned on working on that stuff a little throughout August, but my writing has continued at a high level. Poor excuse I know, but I've always been one who needs to wait for deadlines to be more imminent before I can effectively address them. If a deadline is not right around the corner, I tend to place other projects at a higher priority. I won't be able to do that for much longer. I'll need to get serious about job searching this coming month, so writing on the second novel may have to halt entirely as I focus on the job hunt and the rewrite.

Also approaching is my birthday. For those that don't recall off hand, it is the last day of September. I have not given any birthday gifts to anyone this year, well, like most years. I'm not a big believer in the thought that birthdays are special, but because of this, I forbid anyone from sending me any gifts or money or any form of anything. Feel free to give me a call. Knowing that you care enough to call is all the proof I need to, once again, confirm that my friends are better than me, because I don't usually even do that. Heck, I don't even know most of my friend's (and family's) birthdays to even make the effort, so that's how bad I am at the birthday thing.

I'm not sure I have much more on the horizon. I've been pretty good at keeping my lifestyle focused on so few agendas it seems like a good nights sleep is one of my daily goals. Who consciously thinks about that without first having a poor nights sleep?

Oh well. Sorry for the second short entry in a row. I guess I've spent too much time discussing BSG with Kim a couple posts back.

No comments: