Wednesday, June 11, 2008

I Wanna Dip My...

Ah, good old Louie from MTV's, The State. I'm not sure anyone, aside from John, will get that reference. The title of this post is only the first half of Louie's catchphrase, if you don't know it, I'll leave the rest to your imagination. Of course, I've given you enough information that you could always look it up online. I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

I felt this title was appropriate because I almost went swimming tonight. I woke up around 10pm and by midnight felt that I could use a good cooling off. The past few days around here the overnight low has gotten to about 75 and that's not until about 5am. At midnight, it was probably low to mid 80's. Unfortuantely, it was quite breezy this evening and so by the time I got out there, the pool was filled with all kinds of leaves and twigs and crud that swimming was quite unappetizing. I'll wait until the pool crew cleans it out in the morning. Of course, swimming late at night in the dark would be much preferable. By 9am it will be upper 80's and I probably won't want to go outside. Not to mention exposing my delicate pasty white skin to the sunlight is never a good option. We'll see. I'm sure I'll be cooling away in the pool eventually.

I did put my feet in to let them soak as I lay back on the concrete looking up at the sky with no stars. All the light pollution, as everyone is aware, tends to overpower the starlight. I thought about how funny it is that no one gives light pollution a second thought. Including me, I simply moved on and started focusing on why I'd come out in the first place. I was out there thinking because I hadn't come up with my next scene in the book.

I know you're all thinking: writer's block! I cursed myself in talking about it yesterday. But as I said, I don't think like that. After about ten minutes I figured out the next scene and came in and wrote it; 522 words. It wasn't a long scene, but it flows into what's supposed to happen next, so when I start writing again, either later tonight or tomorrow, I know what I want to write to follow it up. So the block appears to be lifted.

Staying up all night has killed my project of getting more exercise. I don't care for walking around at night. It never bothered me in Albany, even the beggars cleared out early, but here, there are too many desperate people around and the beggars are out even more at night; because it's cooler no doubt. Anyway, I know it's a lame excuse, but I really hate fending off people begging for money. Probably because I know that I could be in their shoes in a matter of months. No one likes to face the worst of themselves.

I'm going to try taking a walk this morning around 5am. I could use some stuff at the grocery store and since this is about the time the sun starts to rise, it should be light enough to keep the vampires away and cool enough that I won't burst into flame.

No comments: