Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Yuck!

I have to say my second batch of soup was not as successful as the first. I really love that Creole spice and without it, the soup just isn't the same. It's just too bland for my underachieving palette to cope with. Of course, I can't alter my upbringing and couldn't bring myself to throw out a gallon and a half of soup no matter how lame, so I drained the stock, put most of the vegetables in a container and fried up a serving in a skillet with butter, salt, garlic powder, and paprika. My food is back to being yummy again because, as we all know, dog shit would taste yummy if fried up properly.

I was thinking earlier about my current vegetarian kick, and it occurred to me that I am actually eating vegan, or mostly anyway. Aside from a little butter, the only possible exception is the two packages of ramen that I consumed in the past week. I don't know what the noodles are made of exactly. I have never checked; mostly out of fear. I think it is safe to say that if I am eating food that looks as though it is stamped out into bricks, I don't really want to know what it is made of.

My only comment on vegan eating: Do vegans really defecate this much? I greatly prefer offering up a healthy tribute to the porcelain god once or twice a day. Instead my oblations are spaced out 6 or 8 times a day and are completely unworthy of the effort. Fortunately, the porcelain god is merciful. I am somewhat curious to see if this behavior evens out after some time.

As for my meat addiciton, I think I am well past the woods on that one, but I fear it will be like my alcoholism (once I officially become an alcoholic that is). I will always crave that next form of meat based product. Fortunately, I am past the point where eating a serving of veggies is unsatisfying. Perhaps it is the frying of them in butter.

I have been reading a lot the last couple of days, so I guess I don't have much of anything to offer other than my writing continues to go well. Two days in for the week and I am at 2100 words. It looks like a good start to achieving my goal for the week. Speaking of which, I have been thinking of pushing my goal to 5000 words a week.

A number of factors have pushed me accept this, most importantly is the realization that I may not have much of a chance of finishing my main story arc by the end of the year. I had hoped in the beginning to be finished in two books, and as I mentioned before, I am not convinced this will be happening. In either case, I see no reason not to push myself just a little bit harder. Besides, I have hit the 4000 word goal five weeks in a row now. It's not much of a goal if I continue to achieve it. Goals are intended to be achievable while pushing the envelope.

Come to think of it, I see no reason I shouldn't start with that goal right now. Five thousand words should be effective. During my five week streak, I managed it the first three times, but the last two weeks I barely squeaked by. This will give me a good excuse to push things a wee bit more.

No comments: