Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Idle Pointlessness

I slept really quite awfully last night. I'm not sure why, but I was up every couple of hours, I had some weird dreams (that are now forgotten), and it was pretty much the worst sleep I've had in weeks. It must be a subconscious thing, because all of my writing the past five weeks or so has finally caught up with me. I have reached a juncture where I'm not sure what I want to do with a couple of minor characters.

I am in the middle of the second book of this novel, and when I finish it, I'm not sure what I want to come next. I had made plans on what I was to write next, but now I am reconsidering. Things are moving way too slowly in this novel and with the pace that I am setting, it almost seems like I am going to need an entire third novel to finish things off. This may happen in the rewrites, I don't care there, but I wanted the main story arc to be done in two novels the first time around.

I took Sunday off after writing 5800 words last week, and yesterday, I updated my character sheets because I have been writing so fast I was getting behind. As it was, I wrote 700 words in my character sheets. Trust me, that's a lot. This morning, after sleeping so poorly, I gave Moose a call to see if I could bounce any abstract ideas off him (I knew he would not be caught up due to the holiday, so the ideas I was throwing out had to be a bit on the abstract side). Sadly, it didn't really help, like it often does.

I tried to come up with some ideas, but most of the day, I ended up watching the Tour De France. I watched the preview show and the first two stages. I have been looking forward to this, so it was a day reasonably well spent, even if the tour was used to keep myself awake long enough to go to bed at a reasonable time without napping and causing myself to be up all night. If I did that, I would invariably get nothing done tomorrow either.

Why? I don't know. It's just the way I work. I figure I'll start writing tomorrow and see where I go from there. With any luck the writing process, even forced, will cause an epiphany or two. I'll probably have to rewrite my timeline. I think that is one of my problems. The original timeline that Moose and I created to get the ball rolling has gotten a bit outdated in some ways, so I need to reset things I guess.

I am not so surprised as to the slow down. It was a bit inevitable, though I was particularly enjoying the productivity. However, there are other forms of productivity and it seems I am in need of working on them for the time being. Alas, it won't add to my precious numerical data that actually shows off my progress.

And if all that doesn't work tomorrow, I still have stage three and four to watch.

No comments: