Thursday, April 24, 2008

Grandma Approved!!!

I recently sent my first 30 blog entries to my Mother and Grandmother. Of course, neither are particularly computer savvy, so I printed them up and sent them out via snail mail. I figured this would fulfill promises that I had made at Christmas time to write them a little something once I got out to Vegas. Unfortunately, after writing in my novel most days and then blogging many days as well, I found I had no desire to actually sit down and write a boring old letter.

I mean come on! These entries are boring enough. Could you imagine me compressing ten or twelve into a page or two. That would take work that I am far too lazy to do. So I just printed off the whole shootin' match on the rationalization/delusion that it would be better if they heard the full story rather than an uninspired shortened version.

I just received a card from my Grandmother today which started with the words, "Send me more!!!"

Yes, she did indeed use three exclamation points. A ringing endorsement if I ever saw one. I suppose that ought to be some extra incentive to at least try to be better about blogging every day. I mean, when your Grandmother asks you to do something, do you just ignore her? I think not. Of course, now when I send out the next round of entries the first one she'll get to read is the "Some Coke and a Smile" entry, so that's just great.

Anyway, going back to a previous comment I made about a podcast called "I Should Be Writing" with the interview featuring Jared Axelrod, I had said that he makes a number of excellent comments about exercising your creativity, and not in the demonic way. (I know it's not spelled the same way, it's a malapropism.)

One of his suggestions was to do a podcast or a blog every day. No excuses, no matter how silly, no matter how useless you make it. Just do it every day. I find this to be good advice and so I will make a serious effort to post an entry every day.

Now first things first. Every time I talk to someone now, invariably one of the first tings they say is that they don't read the blog every day. Do you think I don't know that? Get real. Just because I moved to Vegas doesn't mean I am not still smarter than you. In the same way that I am smart enough to know that exactly none of you downloaded that podcast to hear what that Axelrod said on creativity. If I were in your shoes, I'd be doing the same thing; only I'd be using the excuse that I was too smart to be reading the Vegas idiot's blog every day.

The reason I am bringing this up, is that I don't expect people to read this blog every day. So if I do indeed start writing every day it is not to make you feel even more guilty for not reading it, I will be writing in it every day for the same reason I write in it on most days now, for myself.

It keeps me honest.

Of course, when I call, or you call me, don't ask me what I've been up to. I'll just refer you to the blog.

No comments: