Friday, May 2, 2008

The Elderly

So it occurs to me as I am about to make this post that the title of my previous post ought to have been, "Sunny Day, Sweepin' the Clouds Away". It seems I am fine at recalling those astronomical facts off the top of my head, but it appears I am getting too old to remember the lyrics to the theme song of Sesame Street. You know what they say, be kind to the elderly as their memory fails them.

It was an interesting day/night. I was too tired to get any writing done, but forced myself to stay up until 2:30am to be sure I could take a bit of a nap, so that I could at least attempt to stay up all day. (Recall that I had slept to 3:30pm yesterday afternoon!) It seems that action was unnecessary as I proceeded to sleep until almost noon today. In the end, I did feel refreshed enough to do some writing and that is all that matters. Especially since I had not written in two days. One day off and one awkward sleeping day.

The time now approaches midnight and I kind of feel like going to bed. I don't think I'll fight it this time, though I doubt I'll have the same success as I had last night. If one would call sleeping too much a success. It's that age thing again.

Anyway, I wrote well over a 1000 words today, giving me 2700 for the week. Thus, I only need to put down 650 words each day over the next two days to reach my goal for the second straight week. Since I am so close, I'll have to make a serious effort. As I said before, it seems writing from this character's point of view agrees with me. I like the character and I guess I like the way the character has the ability to shape the story.

And yes. Right now, he's my only friend in Vegas. Poor me.

Of course, Kim and Charles will be stopping by at the end of the month for a few days so that Kim can do her Tea Expo, or whatever it is; that girly crap that makes her happy. Charles and I will be doing important manly stuff, like the Star Trek Experience at the Hilton.

Anyway, back to the writing: I tend to write very organically. Everything flows, more or less, off the top of my head. I don't plan much in advance except the main story arc points. In fact, I killed one character off, only to like her so much that I wrote one of the later books from her point of view. I guess I'll have to change that when I write the second draft eh?

Still, things are not as muddled as all that. I, we, as in Moose and I, do have a plot outline for the entire story. It's just that the road we have set out upon currently has very wide shoulders with which to play upon. I guess, for this 7th book, I am enjoying the writing a great deal more than some of the others and that always makes the writing much easier.

No comments: