Saturday, May 10, 2008

Another Tough Week

Goodness! I really am a loser after all!

I forced myself back onto a day schedule yet again. The last couple of days, I have slept from 9pm to 4am. Hours that aren't ideal, but I can live with for now. It took a few days where I did no writing and now have no chance to reach my 4000 word goal this week. In fact, I'll be lucky to reach 2000 words seeing as I have only written 600 so far today. I plan to have another writing session shortly.

I did manage to get in a couple of phone calls that I have been meaning to make so there is one positive. I hope to make a few more calls this weekend. I suppose one of which should be to my mother seeing as tomorrow is Mother's Day.

So what have I done all week? I started working on my baseball studies, though I am yet to make any bets. Probably a good thing as many of the ones I have been looking at have been losers. But, I guess, that is why one takes the time to wait for patterns to emerge. I have also watched an exorbitant amount of anime that I have downloaded. It was necessary to keep myself awake for extra hours to push my sleeping time forward. The biggest drawback to this technique of changing my sleeping times is that I end up losing a day in the end.

If one thinks of sleeping during the day as being a half day out of cycle, then using three 28 hour days to get back on cycle puts me the other half day back in cycle, but it is, effectively, at the expense of living 9 days in the 10 day time span, from the point where I fell off the wagon of sleeping on nights.

Speaking of falling off wagons. It occurred to me that I have not consumed a drop of alcohol since moving out here. That's over two months without a drink. This is not a good start to my becoming an alcoholic. I still have 8 more sessions to go this year if I want to deemed an alcoholic.

For those that don't know the story. I had a really lame health teacher in high school, though to call him a teacher is a disservice to competent educators everywhere. His method of teaching consisted of a hell fire and brimstone approach that attempted to scare teenagers into a more Christian way of life, though obviously he never specifically said as much. At any rate, it goes to show you how stupid he was, considering such tactics rarely work on teenagers. Teens still have the "I'm indestructible" mentality, so to try to scare them into anything is waste of time. They're at a point in their lives when they're seeking acceptance from their peers as well as adults, so an adult should be accepting of them and attempt to reason with them like they're adults, not scaring them like children with Grimm's Fairy Tales, but I digress...

Anyway, one of his scare tactics was to present us with a "scientific study" that "proved" something like 60-80% of all adults were alcoholics. I can't remember the exact figures, but they were ridiculously high. Then, of course, he went on to show what detrimental things alcoholics did to themselves and their families.

As he was reading the preliminary figures to the class, I just couldn't accept them. I knew I was pretty naive about the world outside of Penn Yan, but I just couldn't believe so many people were stumbling around drunk all the time. Having parents that rarely drank and almost never to excess; having never even once hearing from a friend about their parents getting trashed; I just couldn't buy it.

At the bottom of the page, the definition that was given to an alcoholic was: "A person who has 3 or more drinks per session with a minimum of 10 sessions in a year."

Naturally, I asked the obvious question, or at least obvious to me: "How do these people justify using this as the definition of an alcoholic?"

As I have said, the teacher wasn't there to teach us anything with a rational methodology, so he dismissed my question and forced the class to move on, despite the fact that the rest of the class objected with me after I pointed out this obvious flaw. I am yet to meet anyone who agrees with the above as a definition for an alcoholic. A fact that a class of young teens knew instinctively. How he expected anyone to buy the garbage he was selling is beyond me.

Anyway, using the above definition, I am attempting to label myself as an alcoholic, but it is tough going. I don't really drink alone that often. In fact, I daresay it has happened maybe 3-4 times in my life and not in the past 4-5 years. I am quite likely destined to be the worst alcoholic ever.

No comments: