Wednesday, May 14, 2008

D.C. al Fine

Da Capo al fine (D.C. al fine): A musical term which means repeat from the beginning up to the word fine.

I was thinking about how today was an interesting day, but it would seem like I am constantly saying that I had interesting days or boring days that I make interesting and so it seems as though I am repeating myself every day. My second thought was that every day is an interesting day, in its own way. If not, you need to do something about your days.

I have not mentioned my writing mostly because last week was such a poor week. Once again, while repeating my sleeping woes, my writing suffered so I eventually decided to not fight it and took most of the week off. I wrote one day for 600+ words. All things considered an embarrassing week, but I also feel as though I needed a bit of a break. I had seven decent weeks of writing under my belt, so it was quite easy (in my zombie state) to convince myself to take that time.

I started anew on Monday and in the first three days this week I have managed 2700 words -- Not too shabby. As much as I hate to use the word, something interesting happened today. I got to a point and thought that I may have reached the end of the first novel. That's where I stopped for the day.

It was strange. A half page previously and I had been happily writing away oblivious to the fact that the end was near. In fact, if anyone had asked me, I may have been inclined to say that I could have as much as ten or twenty pages to go before the end, but "BOOM!" It had suddenly arrived.

The oddest part, is that I am still not sure that I am done. It was so abrupt, I don't know if I want to continue with a bit more, or if maybe I really am done with it and need to start the next novel. I'm going to take a fresh look at it in the morning and go from there, but I may just be done with the first novel. With any luck I'll get a chance to consult with Moose tomorrow. Maybe he'll have an opinion.

No comments: